View Single Post
Old 12-08-14, 08:22 PM
LelandJT

Bikes: Santana Beyond & Stylus. Santa Cruz V10, Nomad, Bronson, & 5010. Fuji Transonic, Kestrel Talon, Hongfu rigid 650b, some beach cruisers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^So long as it's under 70lb I haven't heard of someone being denied, regardless of dimensions, during my time as a mechanic on the Santana tours and I've seen some looong boxes.. We've had plenty of people with Crateworks cases and they seem to work fine with all the straps to secure things but they take some time to pack carefully. The 2-peice S&S cases are great in that you'll NEVER get an oversize fee but since airlines usually charge a fee for each checked bag now (and that fee goes up for each additional bag) the savings isn't as big as it used to be. The problem with them is parts aren't secured inside and rely on careful packing and padding that can be ruined by TSA rifling through. I've heard nightmare stories of bikes showing up with serious damage. The Safecases are my favorite for how quickly and easily they pack up and how well protected and organized stuff is but you're rolling the dice on whether they'll charge you an oversize fee.