Old 12-09-14, 11:21 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Why do you need guide books? Just get off the ferry at the Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, cycle down to Brentwood Bay, catch the ferry across to Mill Bay, and start cycling north.
I don't understand why you are so dismissive of guidebooks or advanced planning. Guidebooks can be very useful for planning purposes, getting the big picture, and learning about must-see (or must-avoid) places. They can also facilitate online research.

I'm not sure if the OP is looking for book suggestions specific to bike touring or more general tourism books. For the latter, there are many recent books. I often look at reader feedback on sites like Amazon or look at them in a bookshop.

I've toured some on Vancouver island, the Gulf Islands, and the San Juans. For bike touring, there are some old books out there which you can buy very cheaply from AbeBooks - Used Books, Rare Books, New Books & Textbooks or Amazon. One such old book is: Touring the Islands: Bicycling in the San Juan, Gulf, and Vancouver Islands. I believe it has topo maps and route information which would probably still be useful for a present-day tour. The islands are not flat, and you can get much better info about terrain from an old cycling-related guidebook than you're likely to get from a tourist office. I have also found crazyguy a great resource for recent information about specific roads and routes.