View Single Post
Old 12-10-14, 06:20 PM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I meant to say in my post was that I had always thought Tretubi meant the 3 main tubes (not the entire bike) was made of Cromor-caliber stuff.

As you mention, the seattube sticker implies the fork is not made of Columbus. But I haven't always been particularly sure about that. The Formula 2 fork sticker says words like Columbus, fork, tubing, and no mention about Tretubi (look it up, as I don't have the sticker nearby). In isolation, looking at just the sticker on the fork, you'd be convinced the fork is made of Columbus tubing. So it opens the possibility that the 3 main tubes are Columbus, but so is the fork (assuming the seattube Tretubi sticker is referring to the frame ONLY, and not the fork, which is certainly conceivable. Again, I'm saying the associated fork sticker for Tretubi leaves open the possibility that it is made of Columbus tubing (or at least, makes the issue ambiguous).

Regarding tubing manufacturing, what is a "seam"? (sorry, newb here)

So basically, based on what I've read on the stickers and in places, I've always considered a Bianchi Formula 2 Tretubi frame to have 3 main tubes that were basically Cromor level, and a fork that may possibly be of Columbus tubing also. I never envisioned a Formula 2 Tretubi as having SL tubing, given how mass-produced those low-mid range bikes were.

All this said, I believe that these differences in tubing are secondary to the actual manufacturing process of the frames themselves. If we consider that almost fully-blinded experiment in the 1990s printed in one of the big cycling journals (the Magnificent 7), given that the riders couldn't distinguish the best material from the worse one, it tells me technique in frame manufacturing significantly exceeds tubing in terms of importance WRT bicycle riding quality. I say this because "everyone" can tell a high-end Bianchi rides better than a low-end Bianchi, but given that, by themselves, tubing cannot be distinguished amongst identically-made bicycles, it implies that it's the skill/technique in the manufacturing process that distinguishes an average bike from an excellent one.