Thread: Equipment List
View Single Post
Old 12-11-14, 08:40 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly good advice above. I have an old Park stand. I don't like it much, because it doesn't fold up very compactly, but it is stable, and once I cut down the jaws it lets me clamp my seatpost very securely (I don't have much exposed seatpost to clamp). I'm awefully tempted by the Feedback Sports models - they look well made and they fold up nice and compact.

When I got my new road bike I had to get a new 11-speed chain tool. Ended up with a Pedros. It's worked fine the couple of times I used it to size and replace a chain.

Most non-bike specific tools, I'd head down to my local Sears and get some Craftsmans. No, they're not as good as they once were, but bikes are fairly easy on tools, so I don't think it should be a problem. For bike-specific tools, I generally stick with Park (the chain tool above being a notable exception).

I have a Topeak Road Morph on my commuter. The couple of times I've used it, it's worked well, very well. I have a Lezyne mini pump on my road bike - it works fine for finding the hole in the tube, or making sure the tire is seated properly, but getting tires up to riding pressures? I once got up to 300 strokes before I stopped counting, and I don't think I was quite up to my usual riding pressure. On my road bike I also carry a Genuine Innovations CO2 Proflate; it works very well - has a trigger that lets you control the CO2 addition so you don't have to blast it in all at once.

I use a Topeak trunk bag for commuting. I actually have a couple of them - the larger one has fold out panniers built in. They have a quick release system that works with the permanent rack on my commuter, or the seatpost-mounted rack I can attach to my road bike or fixed gear. They work pretty well, although the quick release cam on the seatpost-mounted rack bothers my legs while I'm pedaling. I just got an Arkel seatpost rack and matching trunk bag that looks like it will be an improvement over the Topeak - lighter too.

If you don't have a good floor pump, you owe it to yourself to get one; it's the most used "tool" in my garage. If you really want to splurge a little, pick up a Hirame pump head (assuming you have Presta valves) for it. The other "splurge" item is a Spurcycle bell. Ridiculously expensive for a bicycle bell, but I haven't regretted the purchase since it arrived - small, loud, looks nice. I thought my Crane bells were nice (and they still are), but the Spurcycle is in a different league.