Old 12-12-14, 01:16 PM
xenomera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideas for Ride from Gilroy to San Luis Obisbo

(I also posted this in the Northern California forum, so I'll watch both).

My wife and I do yearly 2 or 3 week touring rides, with camping gear. We are not speedsters, going 30-50 mile days with days off here and there.

Since we live in San Francisco, this year we are thinking of taking Caltrain to Gilroy and then doing a loop which goes inland to San Luis Obisbo, and then up the coast back to Gilroy to catch the train back to SF (or just ride back to SF). We like it because no cars are involved and we ride out from our house.

The coast route has plenty of information, and there pretty much is only one road for most of it, so no questions there.

But the inland route is more intriquing. I think we would like to avoid 101 as much as possible, just for the peace and quiet. But we don't want to get so far off the beaten track that we have to go 70 miles to find food or camping (or hotels).

We'll probably start by riding from Gilroy to Pinnacles for the first day, and camp there. But I wondered about anyone having advice for good routes down to San Luis Obisbo that would be interesting.

Any takers?