Old 12-12-14, 11:01 PM
Philosopher of Bicycling
DeadGrandpa's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Carolina
Posts: 1,103

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 159 Posts
Converting down tube shifters to trekking bars on road bike

I bought an 80's vintage Miyata 215 ST road type sport touring bike, 3 x 6 speed with down tube shifters. I want to replace the drop handlebars with trekking (butterfly) bars like my Novara Safari, which has grip shifters. I found these SRAM MRX 21 Speed (3 x 7) Grip Shift on Amazon, Robot Check . I think these will work. However, I have read enough to question whether the mountain bike shifters will operate the original FD on the Miyata, and if there is a preferred brake lever set to operate the cantilever brakes that were also original. Or should I throw caution to the wind and install trigger shifters? If so, which ones? I am not completely committed to a relationship with the grip twisting shift. My apologies for asking stupid questions.
DeadGrandpa is offline