Old 12-21-14, 02:24 PM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
Cyclocross or Flatbar bike - looking for something different for road and trails.

With the weather getting colder, the roads getting sand and debris on them I put my road bike away but still want to ride. I'm thinking of a aluminum frame but not sure if I want drop bars or a flat bar. My thinking is that if I take it on some "easy" trails i'd have more control with a flat bar and shifting would be much easier with gloves on. Also the more upright seating would be more relaxed than with drop bars.

I've been riding road bikes for 3 years and average 40 miles rides, but i'm looking for a cold weather bike that will allow me to still get some exercise during the winter until March when I can get the road bike out.

Below are 3 bikes, all the same price. I'm just using them as examples of what's out there. My thinking is the mountain bike is too aggressive and since I will be riding trails, it's mostly dirt with some hills... Long Island is pretty flat. The cyclocross is too much like a road bike and won't be different enough from my road bike. While it take take the abuse, the drop bars might be difficult on trails with steering, braking and shifting with gloves. The hybrid seems to be the best option.

What are your thoughts?

Trek 7.5 FX (Hybrid)

Trek Crossrip Comp (Cyclocross)

Trek X-Caliber 8 (Mountain Bike)