Thread: Senator bicycle
View Single Post
Old 12-21-14, 05:01 PM
bschwinner

Bikes: 1953 Hiawatha (my boyhood bike!), 1958 Raleigh Sports, 1963 Varsity (my first 10-speed!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Senator bicycle

Hello,
I have a 3-speed Senator bicycle that was given to me by my sister. It was given to her in the 1970s or early 1980s. The bike is in poor condition, and I am tempted to simply get rid of it. However, I am unfamiliar with the name "Senator," and the name badge states that it was made in Austria, so I want to be sure that it is not something of any significance or collector interest before I dispose of it.
The 3-speed hub does not seem to have a name on it: it is labeled simply "THREESPEEDHUB" and below that name is "USA Pat." followed by several digits. The shift mechanism operates by turning the right-hand hand grip on the handlebars. It has a European style cotter. There is what appears to be a serial number on the right rear fork.
I have been unable to find any information about this bike. Does anyone have any information about it? In particular, can anyone recommend whether it is worth restoring and preserving? (Restoration would be a pretty big job.) Thank you!