Old 12-24-14, 04:00 PM
Emperor Ryker

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much to pay for a used 1997 Bianchi Campione d'Italia with Campagnolo components?

Hi guys, I've been directed to this subforum by the good people in the Road Cycling section

So the thing is I'm still looking to buy my first road bike, and I've stumbled upon a nice used 1997 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. However, there are two snags:

1. Namely, the owner is asking for $600, which seems a lot, but then again I don't know much about road bikes. However, BicycleBlueBook lists it as a $313 value at most, which is if it's in "like new" condition. Is the latter estimate closer to what I should be willing to pay? Would I be getting absolutely fleeced by paying $600? What would your fair price be? The seller states that all parts are original, except for an upgraded front derailleur, and that the bike has seen less than 2000 miles.

2. The frame is 57 cm, but according to Bianchi's Road Bike Sizing Chart I'd need a 58 cm one, since I'm roughly 182 cm with an inseam of about 86 cm. Do I just forget about the bike then? Since this would be my first road bike, I'm not sure I could tell by feel, unless it was greatly off. But if I just take a spin, I don't think I'd be able to tell whether it's going to be suitable in the long run.

Thanks in advance!