Old 12-26-14, 07:32 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Is it difficult to refurbish an old 10-speed?
Make no mistake about it, refurbishing an old Ten Speed is NOT easy, unless you have some mechanical skills, some appropriate tools, and, at the very least, the desire to learn how to start and complete the task. That said...

It is easy and fun to get started. You will make mistakes, and not understand this and that, but if you keep trying, you will learn. I know this for a fact - I have taught a LOT of people how to refurbish old bikes. And they all learned, at different speeds, but finally became good at bicycle repair. That said, neither you or I will even know everything. I still learn bits and pieces every time I restore/refurbish an old bike.

Part replacement, for most common items that wear out, is no issue. Most bike shops will have appropriate cables, cable casings, tires, inner tubes, brake pads, spokes,nipples, tire liners, bar tape and even satisfactory saddles. Specialty items, specific to the bike in question, are usually more difficult to get, but are best sought out on Ebay or, better yet, the For Sale forum of Bike Forums.

If you are interested in getting the bike back - get it and don't waste time doing so. In my world, once an old bike is remembered by the owner, it is, usually, sold off quickly.

Good luck with the bike and, if you wish, spend some time on my website. It was designed and published just for you.