Old 01-04-15, 11:09 AM
PeddlePeddle...
Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drove one.
I'm looking for a way to commute to work. In the past, well in my life, I have ridden a Raleigh 3 speed, a Fontaine 10 speed, a Giant 10 speed, and I am now riding a Stowaway 18? speed.

My commute is 20 miles; and I have never managed to make it all the way on the Stowaway. The pavement is so rough and there is no suspension on the Stowawayso I've basically given up when I get halfway there, and turned around and gone home.

Naturally, this is not when I'm actually trying to get to work. So much for the background.

I made arrangements through Organic Transit to have a test ride from an owner nearby. The day I met him it was raining. He refused to sit in my truck while I test rode it. So, I just rode it around some parking lots and driveways for 10 minutes.

Surprisingly, I found it much more comfortable then the Stowaway. Even though it was a model 1, and had no suspension. One of the parking lots was in very poor condition even worse and the pavement on the way to work. I intentionally drove through some of the rough areas in the parking lot. I was using clipless pedals so footsuck was not a problem. I would highly recommend clipless pedals when riding any recumbent. On that subject, I did see that my heel could touch the ground when standing still. However, when actively peddling that never happened.

Having the seat higher than the petals would seem in theory to make it less stable. However, even a hard turn did not lift one of the front wheels. On my Stowaway, I have found myself lying on my side in the street on many occasions.

I think the high seating position may prevent my feet from falling asleep after riding for an hour or so as my feet are inclined to do on the Stowaway. Time will tell on that one.

If I can afford it, I'm definitely going to get it.

As far as locking it up is concerned, there is no floor so the chain can easily be brought underneath the body and wrapped around the frame.

Last edited by PeddlePeddle...; 01-04-15 at 11:12 AM. Reason: additional word