Old 01-04-15, 08:14 PM
Ghefty

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro700, BikeE NX, BikeE AT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greg,
living on the old cutler route I am biased towards my roadway. I regularly ride old cutler on 25mm Gatorskins without issue, having ridden chip seal in other areas I would say that our roadway is in great shape. That said, I do not ride the bike path (multi use path) because it has way too many bumps from the trees that line the path and road. There are several club rides each week that take the scenic road route to Homestead past Black Point Marina and the Homestead Motor Speedway.

I also ride the overseas highway to the upper keys several times a year and to key west at least once each year, most recently on the first weekend in December. There are two options between Homestead/Florida City and Key Largo: US-1 quicker & shorter with a wide shoulder and lots of traffic, or Card Sound Road which is longer with a narrow or no shoulder for 2/3 of the way, and has a nice new bike lane for the last 1/3 but much quieter. I ride both.

once you are in the keys, there three good areas to get off the highway for a few quiet miles, look for the Old Highway on Plantation Key and Upper Matecumbe Key, and the bike path on Grassey Key. These stretches without the noise of passing cars will be a welcome relief

let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Ride safe,
george
Bacchetta Giro700