Old 01-06-15, 01:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
That looks like a decent set of tools. Have ever used an EAI cog tool? It's expensive, but I think it's worth the bucks.

I had a junior team coach visit me in my tent and while he was checking out my bike he laughed and said "a lock ring, no one uses lock rings anymore." I replied that I did and that's it's weight was insignificant when compared to it's potential value. A couple of weeks later, one of his juniors needed to remove a stuck cog. After a lot of frustration and two broken chain whips I visited their tent with my EAI tool. I tried with all of my strength to remove the cog, but it wouldn't budge. I was pretty much at the point of giving up when I noticed the 8mm hex opening at the end of the tool and realized that's for the cheater bar. I inserted an 8mm hex wrench and then there was sufficient torque to pop the cog right off. At the point that same coach asked where I got the tool and how much it cost. I answered his question and then I offered up that it also removed lockrings. He smiled and said "got it."

Ha! Great story.

I've used lockrings most of the time. I tried not using one once...during a sprint night. My opponent slammed on the "brakes" and tried to force me forward. I responded with a forceful back-pedal and spun the cog right off. We were going fairly slow, so no harm done. But, yeah, I did the re-ride (and every ride since) using a lockring.