onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiseAlways
I actually found (hard to come by as it ewas) the correct french sized 1A Cinelli stem in the size I was looking for. Ironically now I'm thinking about having it fixed with standard brit sized steer tube,.. but that's my question now,..

Do I have him keep it french to stay original or just say to heck with it and make it brit thread and diameter instead to keep things easy...after all they did have "some" that went to brit sizing at this time??
Mine came with the Atax stem and Phillipe handlebars,.. I got an early 1980s Cinelli handlebars and have both the french quill sized stem and the brit sized stem here,.. so I can go either way very easy.

FYI this is a 1981 Super Comp bike,.... so that may play a part in the consideration of what to do on the stter tube????
Again, it's what you want. First, while Peugeot changed to BSC bottom brackets in the 80's they still stayed with French threaded steerers and French stems. Since you seem to have two sets of French stems and handlebars, I would go with the French; it will also give you better bragging rights..