View Single Post
Old 01-08-15, 03:15 PM
1 Miyata Biker

Bikes: Schwinns and Miyatas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get the bike inside and have access to warm water where you can rinse the slush and especially the salt solution off of the bike, that would be ideal. I used to connect a hose to my hot water heater when the weather wasn't conducive to cleaning the bike outdoors, and used that to clean the gunk off of the bike. The hot water was used with a bit of gentle soap to wash/wipe the frame and wheels. Then a quick rinse with the hose, a quick wipe with a soft cloth down to the chain stays and bottom bracket area, and that part was completed. For the lower part of the bike, rear derailleur, chain rings, the underside of the bottom bracket area, fork, wheels and chain stays, I used a mild mixture of Simple Green. It cuts the oil/grease type lubricant you find on the lower part of the bike. Just use a soft cloth, spray the Simple Green on and wipe it off right away with a clean soft cloth. I've never had an issue with paint problems using this mild mixture of Simple Green, usually a mixture of 75% water and 25% Simple Green. It cleans and cuts the "gunk" you find in these areas, especially in the winter months. Then I usually will use a soft cloth cloth and some auto wax to give the bike some protection from these elements ( and it makes cleanup easier the next time! ), in the future. If you don't have indoor access, a garage and a bucket of warm water would have to do. My bike is a '89 Miyata 1000LT and looks new yet, so I guess this type of cleanup does it no harm. The process usually takes about an hour start to finish.

Last edited by 1 Miyata Biker; 02-13-15 at 04:53 PM.