Old 01-16-15, 02:08 PM
nick coyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane Disc and rear Rack + panniers possible?

Hello,

This is my first post. I am interested in buying a 2014 or 2015 trek domane disc 4.5, but I need a bike that can work with a rack and be used to carry groceries occasionally. Plus, I ride to work 5 days a week and carry lunch in a pannier. Has anyone out there tried installing a rack on the domane disc and can comment on how it handles with weight on the back? I test road the frame and really like the ride quality plus the hydraulic disc brakes would be awesome for rainy commuting.

Currently, I ride a steel frame road bike with relaxed geometry, and it works well with a rack and panniers. I used to have a lemond zurich 853 steel frame that handled terribly with a rack and panniers. The handling really suffered at the handlebars and while turning as it was very flexy side to side with any weight on the back, so I ditched it. I'm concerned the domane will feel the same as the lemond did with a rack. Although the domane is more of an endurance road bike compared to the lemond zurich which was a road racing bike. I think the longer chainstays of the domane frame would handle weight better than the zurich frame with its shorter stays and steeper angles, but I don't know for sure.

As far as mounting the rack goes, that's a big challenge. The domane frame has "hidden" fender mounts, but I seriously doubt those would be strong enough to support a rack. I'm thinking instead of installing a rack using the rear wheel axle and either the seat post binder bolt, or some p clamps around the seat stays. I know you can attach a rack such as the axiom streamliner by mounting it through the rear axle of the wheel and also at the brake bridge on the frame. And that rack is rated to support 100 pounds when installed at the wheel axle. However, the domane 4.5 frame does not have a brake bridge and the rear axle is oversized 142x12mm. With these obstacles, I may have to fabricate some kind of oversize axle hardware for the rack and use p clamps at the seat stays. But on second thought, it might not be the right bike for me and my needs because of these issues. Has anyone out there tried installing a rack on the domane disc and can comment on how it handles with weight on the back?