View Single Post
Old 01-16-15, 04:39 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I suppose you could argue that if one buys a cheap wheel with cheap cones, one would end up with the same problem in another 3000 miles. Whereas a quality wheel may last significantly longer provided it isn't abused too much.

At the same time, if the replacement bike is $200, one would get the wheel, two brand new tires, everything (mostly) working, new chain, new freewheel, brake pads, etc. I.E. Start fresh with all the wear items.

If the original bike hasn't been maintained, then replacing the common wear items may cost quite a bit, at least if done at shop rates.

Thinking of quality, I took apart one of my Mongoose wheels a few days ago. It appears to have black paint on the bearing races. No doubt the paint wears quickly, leaving debris in the grease and a greater gap for the cone adjustment. The races still seem intact, but pitting has already begun on the cones.
Perhaps I need to restate what I am saying. $200 is not an unreasonable cost for a wheel and there are many that are much more. There are even times when a $200 wheel is the right wheel for a budget bike and rider. This wheelset would be appropriate for this bike for some riders who have to race what they have but can spare the cash for a higher level wheelset. It is also quite likely that a rider can buy the bike as last years model discounted so far that the wheelset costs more than the bike. Ideal maybe not.

Sure he might be able to buy another cheap bike for the smae price as a wheel but a year from now he'd be at the same point. FWIW I have about 4K miles on my Schwinn and the chain and brakes are oem. Tires and wheels plus upgrade to cassette have been the wear items I've replaced. It shifts just fine still. I don't ride it much anymore. Much prefer my Roubiax and Crux. @CliffordK you are jumping to conclusions about the condition of the OP's bike, you could be right, you could be wrong. Several others seem real quick to throw an unknown LBS under the bus and @AnkleWork seems to want to argue with an absurd question and then troll like off topic derailing reply. I'm offering an alternative possible view that is also a guess but could be the why the OP was given the quote he was.