View Single Post
Old 01-16-15, 04:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
So, after all, you agree that the value of the bike effects how much should be spent on a replacement wheel. Now we can explore how much cost difference is reasonable.
There are a multitude of factors affecting the decision.

I've rebuilt or parted out a few thrift store specials. It always burns me to spend $5 on a bike and $20 on a replacement tire. But the $5 bike won't go anywhere without the tire, unless I snag another bike just for the tires.

One can buy good used 26" MTB wheels for $5 with a bit of judicious shopping, but most of them need a bit of tuning up if the OP is willing to learn. And they will last a good long time with proper maintenance.

A $50 new wheel (plus shipping?) may suffer from the same problems the OP had if not maintained.

A $200 wheel might be built better, better rim, better hub, better cones or sealed bearings, etc. So it might not be bad for someone that puts a lot of miles on the bike.

I'm not sure iif the OP mentioned his weight and riding style, but a more expensive wheel might also have less of a chance of bending the axle if that is an issue.