Old 01-18-15, 09:09 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Well, here's the counter-argument: As I am no longer a Clydesdale, having gotten just below 195#, I decided to mount 23s on my fastest bike last night. And today, first time on the skinnies, I shattered the lap times I'd been running on the local circuit around my house that I normally ride, knocked my times down 4-5%: I went from lap times in the 7:15 to 7:20 range running 25mm tires inflated at 8 bar, to consistent times in the 6:50s on the 23s inflated to 9 bar. I could not believe how much faster I was on the skinny tires. Yes, they give a firmer ride. And I just about never flatted on the 25mm tires - who knows how the 23s will do on that score. But 4% faster is nothing to sneeze at. I can't imagine how anyone could race on 25s after that experience.
Exactly. I had 19's on a bike years ago. When I switched to 23's It lost a little of that fast response to a sprint.
But, 23's are a good compromise between weight, comfort, flats, and rolling resistance. Similar results with other size increases on other bikes.