Old 01-18-15, 02:17 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
1970? Raleigh Sports Ladies Frame - My New Project

I originally began this post on the "For Love of English 3-Speeds" thread, but Velocivixen suggested I begin a new thread. So to begin - I bought this Sports thinking it was a 1960's model, but the hub and saddle were dated 1973. The shifter cable housing ran all the way back to the chainstay (no pulley). The shifter housing was the same type as the brake cable housing. It has a Brooks B-66 saddle (I think), a locking fork, and a rear rack that I could not find in the catalog. I began to think that it was a mishmash of years until I deciphered the license plate and noticed what I believe is the bike shop label.

The license plate indicates that the bike was purchased, or spent some time in Brabant, Belgium. Perhaps that explains the unconventional build. The frame serial number (1624904) indicates 1970, but research tells me that 1970 frames were built up and shipped as late as 1973.

The only parts missing are the chainguard and frame mounted pump. Quite possibly it came with a saddle bag and tool kit, but that is speculation on my part. It has a Miller wheel dynamo and lights, and the lights work. The tires have 650 x 38A , 26 X 1 3/8 x 1 1/2 molded onto the sidewall. Some of the wiring is a bit rough, and I am pondering whether to splice the old wire where it is frayed, or to replace it (dis-assembly may necessitate rewiring).

This project is going to proceed slowly due to work and weather constraints, and I am in no hurry to begin - too cold to clean it properly in an unheated garage. What I intend to do is discover all I can about the bike's origin and find a chainguard and pump. I have a chain breaker and small oiler on order from Harbor Freight - the breaker will be converted to a cotter press - the oiler is for the hub. The hub shifts perfectly by-the-way, it just needed to be ridden a few miles in order to loosen things up.

I had originally intended to make this my wife's birthday present (early February). There is no way that I can complete this by that date, so I'll probably give her a seat bag and show her what is in the works.

I am looking forward to advice and encouragement from other BF members, especially those with Raleigh and 3-speed knowledge.

The bike sellers decal I think

The license plate

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0282.JPG (59.3 KB, 30 views)
IMG_0280.JPG (85.4 KB, 25 views)
IMG_0278.jpg (71.5 KB, 63 views)
IMG_0276.jpg (54.0 KB, 34 views)