Thread: Mixed use tires
View Single Post
Old 01-19-15, 03:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ze_zaskar
Hello,

(cross post on Commuting forum)

Currently, I have two sets of tires for my bike (Surly LHT):
a) Conti Race King 29x2.0: they are light for 29er tires, supple and comfy, I mount them when I'm out for an mtb route. However, they burn too quickly on the road, and have some drag
b) Conti Ultra Sport II 700x28: my commuter tires, fast as they should be on the road but I don't have use for them except commuting and dedicated road rides

The thing is, I commute on the week and go offroad on the weekend, so I have an headache switching tires.
It would be great to have a set of versatile tires that I can commute without much drag and wear, and then go play offroad on the weekend (and sometimes after work) with some confort and safety.

Then Ill leave the current tires for more demanding and dedicated road and mtb rides.

I'm thinking about something between 35 to 40mm.

Any ideas? Smart Sam? Travel Contact? Little Big Ben?

Thanks in advance for any help
It could depend on the quality and conditions when riding off-pavement. Are your trails always firm and dry? Or are wet and soft condition typical?

If conditions are soft, consider the Soma Cazadero (700x42) or the Kendra Happy Medium (in the 700x40 size). Both will fit a LHT perfectly.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...00c650b-x-42mm

http://www.kendatire.com/en/bicycle/...py-medium-pro/

If conditions are firm and dry, the Clement tires are excellent.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-19-15 at 03:58 PM.