View Single Post
Old 01-19-15, 06:04 PM
Flog00 

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At Witcomb USA, in 1975, is it true that you and JP Weigle built the bikes? How many worked in that shop in 1975? It's amazing to me that so much talent was working in that shop
I guess from my perspective much of the value of this bike would come from the fact that you built it.
Could this bike have been built by someone other than you or Weigle?

Thanks

$_57 by flog00, on Flickr

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
The Witcomb (there's no H) frames made in London didn't look anything like what we made in East Haddam, and that extends to the decals. How they made them in Deptford and how we did things in Connecticut also had precious little in common. Also, the bicycle made abroad (in Wales) for Witcomb USA was part of a name licensing. Initially the project was about the family commissioning an out-of-work factory in Pwllheli's dying economy to make B level bicycles. That failed. Our boss in Connecticut somehow interceded briefly and two, maybe three containers were shipped to us, and all were sticker-ed up as Witcomb USAs. These were$150 bicycles with steel rims, cottered cranks, and an assortment of crap. one would have to be completely out of all loops to confuse the East Haddam frames we were making with the factory bicycles that we also sold to LBSs back then.
Just a mile outside of town

Beck

Last edited by Flog00; 01-19-15 at 06:11 PM.