Old 01-19-15, 08:55 PM
Janotaking

Bikes: 1978 or 1979 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Kirk
I agree - it is a fair question. I certainly don't want to imply that questions like this should not be asked or that builders should not be questioned.

I can't help but look at this from the perspective of the framebuilder. When someone comes to me and tells me all about themselves and how the bike will be used I will then tell them how I feel we should design the bike and what materials should be used. Often the rider will ask me why I made the choices I have and I'm happy to have the question and give the answer. If at that point the rider says they feel I've picked the wrong tubes and they want to go forward with a different tubeset I would politely decline to build the bike and give them their money back allowing them to find someone else.

I feel the job of the f-builder is to give advice based on experience and then build the best bike they can for the rider so that the rider will be happy with the purchase in both the short and long term. If I feel the tubeset the customer wants is not the best choice this undermines the end result.

I think it boils down to there being at least two business models for f-building - a full custom builder that gives advice and does what he feels is best for the rider and the contract builder that will build whatever the rider asks for out of the materials the rider asks for. Both are viable models but I'm only comfortable with the first model.

dave
Totally agree with that! I'm in a strange situation, because I really want a new frame done for me and I can only spend a little money! The strange thing about this guy is that he raced with Eddy and knows a lot about bikes, for what I see, but he cannot advise me about the tubings, I've sent my body measures today, and I'm almost sure that he will draw a small frame for me, don't know why but it is what I fell. I will not feel great to tell him what geometry I want. I've talked with him today about Eddy and French fit, but he don't know what is it! Don't know what to do...

Scooper, how much is your height? You use 63 or 62 ST frames isn't it? The Competitive cyclist calculator gave me some strange results:

This is photo from him that I've found, what you think about the geometry of that frame? That is a competitive position isn't it?

Thanks a lot guys! We have to get together so I can pay a beer to everyone! Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike fit competitive.jpg (88.0 KB, 36 views)
bike fit Eddies.jpg (93.2 KB, 36 views)
Bike, french fit.jpg (87.9 KB, 34 views)