Old 10-31-05, 01:40 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acrafton
So, I am wrapping my first season as a roadie and am very pleased with my progress but am really confused as to what to do for the next few months. I have read the horror stories of people that trained 'too hard' during the winter and then blew their season. I understand I need some down time both mentally and physically but not sure how much. I am not a racer and did not race but rode 100-160 miles per week consistently since last april and followed a training plan for a specific goal (improving century performance) and tracked performance over the summer.

So now what? Stop for a month, continue as is (and risk what). Get a coach. . .Very confused. . .

Adam
Throughout the history of the world, most people engaged in hard physical labor every day of their lives. If they stopped to worry about "overtraining" they would have died. Today, we barely work hard at all. The average American, even an active one, is in no danger of chronic overtraining. To avoid it most of probably need only to eat well, get enough sleep, and occasionally cross train (walk, run, swim, row, dance, play basketball, etc.).

I think you have been reading a lot books and internet posts that are designed for elite professional athletes. That can be somewhat confusing. You might want to read stuff that is aimed at ordinary amateur athletes who are aiming for good performance and good fitness, not at elite athletes training for racing performance.

"Think Outside the Cage"