View Single Post
Old 01-23-15, 05:27 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
This is the question I'm getting at. I think everyone has agreed that the Suntour would outshift the Shimano that I have, the remaining question is whether later derailleurs would offer any additional benefit when used with friction.
You know, I seem to have a thing about mid 1980s bikes, but early 90s components.

Where I have used non-indexing era components- and replaced them with indexing era components, the reason has been more of a question of "fashion" than "function."

I'm sure there are many here with much more experience in this than me.

I think SIS's secret weapon for this is that "Centeron Guide Pulley." Where Accushift needed to be dead nutz on, SIS allowed for imprecision- and taking that into account would (in theory) make even a friction shifting system shift better- especially when combined with the slant parallelogram.

I don't know how much more technical advancements of a derailleur can change the quality of the shift- keeping the chain closer to the cogs and once it gets to the cogs, helping the teeth grab into the chain... There's advancements in chains and tooth profiles- but not specific to derailleurs.

The nicest, smoothest shifting setup I had was a newer SRAM chain+ Suntour Barcons>Sachs/Huret DuoPar>Maillard Helicomatic. No ****. The smoothest movement between gears- to the point I wasn't sure that I actually made the shift, until the change in pedaling resistance became apparent.

For What It's Worth...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.