View Single Post
Old 01-26-15, 11:08 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another highly accomplished Di2 equipped local tandem team tried the XTR Di2, and came to nought.

I just got Campy EPS on my BMC half-bike. It's great, I love it. So effortless. But I'd not consider it for my tandem at all. Shifting effort pales in comparison to pedalling effort. In the Bay Area environs we share there are steep hills like no where else. Just our little ride yesterday , we looking at grades of 13%. They abound around here. Our ratio of 30 front, 32 rear takes care of these. On the top end we retain 52-11. A double (50-34?) with a cassette the size of a manhole cover, with a K-Edge RD cage, may do that, but with jumps that'll have you warning your stoker with a shift. And that'll still be limited on the top end. I don't want a cadence a little too low or high, I want it right on. I get that with a mechanical triple, and but not with a electric shifting double.

Check out the differences here, between 52-39-30 with 11-32 and 52-36 with 11-36. You can make adjustments, eg. different chainrings . The double even witn 11-36 still doesn't have the low gearing (.938 vs. 1.0), but my what big jumps your cassette teeth have!

Strava Tandem Club