Old 02-01-15, 12:37 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd agree that it was intended as a cheap (cheap!) MTB, originally. Per Mr. Brown's writeup, I'm aware that a 26 x 1 ½ is probably not interchangeable with a 26 x 1.50 tire. But even within the decimal-sized tires, Mr. B indicates that there may (or may not be) compatibility. Since both rims have decimal-sized tires on them currently, it's at least worth trying. The other question, of course is rim width. The narrower rim may (or may not) handle the wider rubber without issue. Going to the wider tire (on a rim that previously had a narrower one) immediately cautions me that the sidewall pressure rating on the tire itself is probably no longer valid. I've split a rim before by using the sidewall pressure of the tire as a guide...

I want the bike as a city bike / commuter with a fairly upright riding stance. I may take it out on weekends for an occasional 50-miler, but it will mostly be the daily-ride alternate bike. The 26" wheels do appeal to me since I have a bike for my wife (which she's decided that she won't ride) that has a Nexus 7 speed hub. I'd like to put that hub to use, so I'll swap wheels with her & put the derailleur on her (unused) bike.

We'll see...