Old 02-01-15, 09:01 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Cork428
Hi, I have been thinking about joining a club since I got a road bike a few months ago. Back then I was about 95kg (I have a lot of muscle from playing rugby from a young age, but I still also have a lot of fat which I'm working on loosing) but now weigh 92kg (no longer able to post in the Clyde forums ) I have been looking for clubs near me, but there is only one. I really want to join but I am scared I won't be fit enough.
The club does club rides every Saturday with an average speed of around 17mph over 60 miles. The website says if you can do 40 miles solo at 16mph you should be fine. I can get an average speed of 25kph for 60km but I'm not that good on climbs.
Do you think I should join or should I continue on my own. I am terrified of being dropped, or being looked down on. (I don't own a cycling jersey, I just wear a t-shirt, and I have a fairly low end bike, although still quite good). I think I just need a bit of moral support to do this . Thanks.
That sounds like a "B" ride, with experienced riders. That's pretty long ride, 60 miles, for a new rider. And these rides can easily go faster, if all the riders that show up are fast. It's really hard for a ride leader to enforce a speed limit!

I like the idea of emailing them and asking. I help lead a 30-40 mile ride that's a little slower than this, (but perhaps more hill climbing). I get a few requests a year, asking if I thought the new rider could handle it. A few of them were just too slow or too new, and I pointed them to some other club rides that are at an easier pace.

If you keep riding a lot, you'll want a bike jersey. (And bike shorts on longer rides.) I still remember a summer rider that was wearing a T-shirt on a hot sunny day. He was dripping and soaked with sweat. The jerseys of the other riders let it evaporate as they ride. Oh, and the pockets are really useful.