View Single Post
Old 02-02-15, 06:13 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I don't think that's anyone's business. I don't go around asking how much someone paid for their watch, new jacket, car, camera, etc. etc. Fortunately, most people are not so rude to ask ... but on the rare occasion someone is, I'm usually vague.
In some cultures (Okay, my experience is primarily interior China) it is perfectly normal to ask how much something costs. That being said, I am now back in the states (eight years in China to a small town in the mid-west, big shift).

I still get asked how much my bike costs. Like you, I am vague. I will normally answer, "a bit more than the bikes at Wal-Mart." If they get specific (and I am not getting "run away fast" signals) I might laugh and comment ". . . let me out it this way, the tires cost more than the Bikes down at Wal-Mart."

I have had some of my students look it up online (I teach middle school). I saw one student look it up and after a moment of shock did not share the number with his classmates, he just said "its expensive." My principal has commented that he knows it can't be cheap bike. The things he mentioned noticing were the belt drive and the, "real transmission," as he put it (a N360 hub). A result is that is that, without my asking, a school camera is now pointed at the bike racks (however, he has said I should have it in my classroom).

The oddest one to look up the price is a woman (fairly attractive I will add) who works at a grocery I frequent. She mentioned being curious and looking up the bike I ride. She then began asking very cycling specific questions. She has also expressed interest in going riding with me. . .