Old 02-02-15, 02:36 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Impact of Wheelbase Size, Comments Wanted

I've been looking at larger wheel bikes. I came across a really good price on a Specialized dual sus 29er. I explained to the sales person that I ride a small frame even though they always want to put me on a medium. After discussing the trails I usually ride, this sales person brought up something I haven't seen much on the forums or heard in any other shop I've been in, he recommended I try to keep the wheelbase short. I hadn't considered wheelbase, but I have to admit, my favorite bike, the old Stumpy hardtail, has a wheelbase of only 41", the dual sus is 42", not exactly long framed bikes. My old medium Rockhopper is almost 43". I typically ride technical single track trails with lots of switchbacks and the usual logs, hairpin turns, roots climbs and so on. I'm curious, have any others here considered wheelbase when they moved from a 26er to a 29er or 650b? Any comments thoughts are welcome.