View Single Post
Old 02-03-15, 05:12 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
The speed advantage of a TT bike is from the aero riding position. But it would be dangerous to ride the aero bars in traffic;you don't have enough leverage to make quick turns. So you're back to using the outer bars,which are no different than drops or bullhorns on a regular road bike. Plus,you'd have a very difficult time adding fenders and racks.
It depends. There's a few places on my commute where I can just put my head down and go. I had aero bars on my traditional road bike when I was doing triathlons and I used them on my commute. Not everywhere of course.

This may not be true on a real TT bike but I found that maintaining a straight line was more of a challenge for me than turning was when I first started using aero bars. You get used to it fast though. When you're at speed turning is accomplished as much through body movement as through moving the bars. It doesn't take much. What you lose is the ability to take sharp 90 degree turns but you typically only do that while moving slowly anyway.

Full fenders would be a challenge but there are options. Clip-ons would be easy enough though.

I definitely wouldn't put a rack on a TT bike, but panniers aren't the only way to carry stuff.

Last edited by tjspiel; 02-03-15 at 05:16 PM.