Thread: Show your Trek
View Single Post
Old 02-09-15, 11:22 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 55 Posts

Here's my Trek 510, from back when the company sold framesets and separate bike kits. You could get the Ishiwata 022 tubing 510 (sport/tour geometry like this one) frame or the 530 (race geometry), the Reynolds 531 tubing 710 or 730, or the Columbus tubing 910 or 930, as I recall, and you had the choice of three different kits to build with. I had a 710 when they first came out but later sold it. Got this one at one of my dealers' shops back when I was repping and planned to build a cyclocross bike but that never happened.

I had a nice 720 hybrid from the '90s that I was riding when I went back to school but it was stolen and a tiny Specialized hybrid was left in its place. I then decided to build up this 510 frame. It was the dark metallic blue with the individual T-R-E-K stickers on the seat tube but I planned to get some brazing done so sandblasted it when doing some metal lawn furniture one miserably hot Labor Day. Had an area framebuilder do brazeons for DT shifter bosses, top tube cable guides, more bottle cages, cantilever bosses and inserts on the forks for front lowriders. Rattlecanned some grey paint from Lowe's and built it up using regular grade components. Nothing fancy. The seat is not a Brooks, but is a Fujita Professional from a Fuji America that was in the warranty bin at the shop I worked at way back. The leather had a bow on the right side that got the seat replaced but I shaved that down using a plane and burnished it and have gotten many happy miles out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek 510 built1.jpg (63.2 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg
Trek 510 built2.jpg (78.3 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by thumpism; 02-09-15 at 07:25 PM.