Old 02-17-15, 02:24 AM
Ice41000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
The thread on the LBS and various problems has me wondering about repairs and such. I figured if I was going to cycle in need to learn to do things myself or I was at the mercy of someone else's time. The LBS around here are ok but I am sure that one of them really does not have a mechanic that could build a wheel and as such one of the mechanic told me he could not build wheels. I learned a little at a time and over the years can do just about what a want on a bike. Seems to me bikes are not complicated like cars and why ever allow someone to work on you bike unless you really can trust them.

It seems to me when I go into LBS they assume I really do not know much and in the end when asking serious questions they cannot give answers. Just recently the LBS mechanic told me the longest he had ever seen a 10 speed chain last was 3500 miles. I told him I did not put much stock in chain checkers I prefer a steel ruler. He told me that was not as accurate? I almost felt like bringing in my Wilier with it 10 spd Shimano 6701 chain with 5000 miles and almost zero stretch. I do keep it clean and not really hilly here, I avoid rain and mud, but I just wonder about the mechanic. He was maybe in his late 20's nice enough but maybe lacked some experience?

I was in at a local Performance Store a while back when in the Chicago area and once the saleperson found out I knew bikes he started asking me questions. In fact we had a great discussion. I left the store thinking at least they did not pretend they had all the answer, of course neither to I. I in the end I want to do all my own maitanence and mechanical work. Make sure the QR is on right, brakes centered, shifting is crisp and accurate, and I take responsibility that the bike is running correct. Taking it the LBS could be hit or miss and much more expensive for a small investment in tools and time.
I used to do almost everything myself; I got the tools and learned how to do it. It is very satisfying feeling being self sufficient, and knowing exact condition of every part, and being able to adjust it or repair or replace it. I think it is integral part of being real cyclist.

Now, I am older and lazier, and I rather go to my friend's bike shop, chat a little and let him do the work.