Old 02-17-15, 10:32 AM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the chain discussions, the new 11 speed Super Record cassette can go close to $500 depending on ratio.

The key is to protect the cassette, by changing chains at around $50 a pop, before the chain wears the sprockets to a new tooth geometry. Although the "pitch" of the chain always stays the same, the distance between the rollers change with wear and will accordingly change tooth geometry. This all works fine, until a new chain is fitted, which then results in incompatible geometry. The chain will skip sprocket teeth under extreme power, making it necessary to replace the entire drive train.

Campy specifies a range (cannot be measured with a ruler, any high quality vernier, digital, or dial caliper will do the job) and provided one sticks within their stretch range measurement, the tooth geometry match between sprockets and chain will always remain compatible between new and old chains. Any wear on the sprocket will always take the geometry shape of an in specification chain, resulting in indefinite cassette life.

No point in swapping chains around at 1000 miles as some do. As long as the chain stays in spec, things are good.

On the other hand, a Shimano 105 cassette can be purchased for around $50, so one might as well ride until the whole drive train needs replacement, which will be to the point before where the chain almost fails. This will be several miles in comparison. I have ridden chains where the rollers start coming apart, a new cassette and chain without bothering about the front chain rings and I am good again.

About cleaning chains, my personal practice is probably a bit unconventional coming from high performance motorcycles. I only clean the chain once, being when I remove it from its original packaging, I soak it in Kerosene and remove all the grease lubricant. Then I fit the chain and lubricate it with Dupont Chain Saver. From there I will re-lube with Dupont when needed, the chain and derailleur never gets cleaned again for the life of the chain. Dupont won't tell you their secret about the Esters they use, but the chain remains clean and dirt is shed automatically.

Last edited by ColnagoC40; 02-17-15 at 10:49 AM.