Bike Forums - View Single Post - My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.
Old 02-18-15, 03:40 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps a more accessible comparison for most people would be the fact that a family of 4 can easily spend 5-10 thousand dollars on a single week trip to Disneyworld, and yet people do it all the time...THAT'S CRAZY! However, they justification is that it's "For the family."

I know a man in his 60's who has been cycling seriously his entire life, and he and his wife both have bikes that I'm sure cost thousands of dollars, as well as a racing-style Tandem that may well have been nearly $10k (not sure, but it's super-nice). They can afford it, and they have been able to spend countless hours of quailty family time with their grown children cycling together. They have taken long cycling trips with their children. Their son does triathalons. They have invested thousands, but have reaped the fruit of excellent health for them and their children, as well as a common interest they can share with their children.

Compared to a trip to Disneyworld, or a $1500 TV (They don't have a TV)...7,000 on a bike doesn't seem too bad.