Old 02-22-15, 07:34 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
"I hate thee for thy refusal to be rebuilt - Every time I've tried to take one apart for repairs something breaks. Every time!"

Oh boy, Far Horizon - you said it all! Just had this problem. Twist grip worked fine (right hand 5 speed cheap Chinese Shimano copy on a POS cheapo MTB I was arm-twisted into fixing up by my nephew for his GF). Rear derailleur cable was badly frayed and rusted and needed replacing. No problem, I've got plenty of spare cables I thought. Examined the twist grip - no cable port, have to separate the twist handle from the mounting. Crack! that was that. I had to fit a new replacement Shimano 7 speed (expensive) replacement, all I could get in a hurry. Surprisingly it actually works well - the numbers don't line up at all, but each click shifts one gear up and down. I HATE these things.