View Single Post
Old 02-17-03, 07:39 PM
bentbaggerlen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nathank,
Hope you dont't mind the cut and paste...

"think the source of the action is because last summer a group of MTBers built a bunch of "North Shore" style ramps and jumps and stuff out of wood and logs... actually i rode the stuff all summer and it was pretty cool. but anyway, it was unauthorized and illegal consturction in the protected park... ok, so i understand that and they have already destroyed all of the stuff. but why do they need to close most of the trails to MTBers?"

I own/control about 1000 ac. in New England. For the most part I have no proplems with people using the propety. But due to miss use by a few, I have had to post all of the propety as CLOSED.
At one time there were miles of logging railroads, now years latter these became trails, used by ATVs, 4X4s, Motorcycles, mountain bikers, horse people and hikers. But then people started to leave things behind, or build things "north shore" ramps and bridges. One summer it cost me over $30,000 to clean up everything that had been left behind or built.
Then some twit cut a trail across an earth dam. After the plants that hold the dam together are gone the dam will wash away. So the dam has to be repaired or removed. That cost over $100,000 to take down the dam.

So if you find a good trail, take nothing, leave nothing, change nothing. And the trail should remain open. But as soon as people start changing things....
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle