View Single Post
Old 02-24-15, 07:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 934 Posts
I've built dozens of wheels on this stand. I find it's one of the few that actually dish a wheel (real closely) consistently. That it's so solid and non flexible is great.

Fitting the wheel is pretty straight forward, don't forget to secure the axle in the vees with the cute and tiny screw clamps. The axle's OLD is read from the scale on the right upright, near the axle end. Then bring up to the rim from below the rim width scale and slid it under the rim so one rim side wall is at ")", note the rim's outside width. Subtract this from the OLD an d divide the remainder by 2. This now is the horizontal distance from the rim's brake track to the axle lock nut's outer edge. Now slide the rim width scale back to the left, all the way. Rotate the rim around until the left side brake track is at the above point on the scale. This establishes the dish/rim centering. mark this point on the rim with a piece of tape or chalk. Now bring this point up to the front of the stand, even with the little plate that has the lever doohickies on it. The right side lever's roller gets placed against the rim at this point. The plate has a sliding function, the thumb screw is underneath it so when the lever is pointing at the red line scribed on the plate you now have a visual of the centered point. The radial run out is indicated with the left side lever/roller. It's proximity to the rim is controlled by sliding the plate in and out on the support arm that holds the plate and connects to the left upright. Whel proper located the lever pointers will swing about showing the rim's run out at aprox. 3x the actual amount.

Once you get proficient at setting up a wheel in this stand it takes all of about 30 seconds to be ready to true. Of course because it was made in a past era the axle width and rim diameter capacity is limited by today's standards. And needing a bare rim to have the levers' rollers to run on does make this stand a bit more involved to do a quickly true for a customer while they wait. But the bling factor is pretty cool, not many shops have this grade of wheel stand. The Parks, while being fine stands in them selves, just are too common to impress any one.

I got my Var stand back in the late 1970s from a boss who decider he didn't need 6 of them and also didn't need to pay me my vacation pay. Best trip I ever took. About a year ago I took it completely apart and steel wooled off the surfaces, cleaned out the threadings and scales. Unfortunately the radial lever's roller fell apart years ago so I just place a 5mm allen wrench in the eye and use a small C clamp to hold the wrench's length close to the rim.

One of the best features is the top of the right side up right is the perfect place to sit your bottle of stout or porter. Andy.