Old 02-25-15, 04:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by scartissue22
Posted this on another forum but didnt get much feedback.

So about 2 years ago, before I quit, I was riding my bike on/off for about 6 months, not putting too much effort into it and no gym work at all.
Earlier today I just found a power profile of one of my rides and turns out I did a personal best of 1810 watts in a random sprint effort, next best 1650...
I was around 74kg, 20 years old at the time.
I have always been told I have a strong sprint, and have won quite a few b grade crits with it but I was pretty surprised with myself with those numbers.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/283034135#

Not trying to show off or anything i'm just interested in how long the process takes to get to the wattage some of the top players are doing of around 2500?
What are you really asking?

Are you asking how long will it take for you to clock 2,500W? Or asking how long will it take for you to start winning races? You can certainly do one without the other

There are guys in gyms in every neighborhood that could probably lay down weill over 2,000W without ever having been on a bike.

2,500W is not required to win even elite track races.

Using Max Wattage to evaluate the potential of a bike racer is like using vertical leap to evaluate the potential of a basketball player. It's just one small metric among many.