View Single Post
Old 02-26-15, 06:12 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Even without photos, I can tell you to ignore that $150 estimate as not being within ball park for the competition individually, let alone with the Supercourse.

Perhaps that person would only pay that, but there are many people who would likely pay far more even in mediocre condition. I'm not sure how it's at all useful to tell someone the low dollar offer they'd make.
I don't think it's particularly useful either, but that was basically the question that was asked, by someone trying to decide between them, while providing very little more information on how the bike would eventually be used. Personally, I would have no use for a Super Course TT, and would only buy one if it were cheap, to flip it or give it to someone. OTOH, were I to come across a Competition, in my size and in good condition, at a fair price I would possibly be interested in buying one for my own purposes. I've seen them around for prices in the $400-600 range. But I'm not jonesing for one in particular, and I would only value it with respect to what other comparable steel classic bike I could get for a comparable price, and plenty of comparable bikes could be had for $500 or so here in SoCal.

It's a probably a fair comment that the Competition is probably worth more than a $150 adder compared to a Super Course TT. It's certainly a far scarcer bike. My comment stems from my own experience looking at them new some 35-40 years ago, where I vaguely recall that a Competition was a $450 or so bike, a Super Course was a $225 bike and a Super Course TT was maybe $50-75 more than the standard Super Course.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 02-26-15 at 06:33 PM.