Old 02-28-15, 11:28 PM
Monument Man

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urban Hybrid - What are the higher end options? (flat bars, road tires, disc brakes)

I live in NYC and I only have room to keep one bike.

The reason I want to upgrade is because my current bike cannot accept a child's seat. I would like my new bike to be able to accept a standard rack, with eyelets, etc. Things I'm looking for:

* Flat handlebars
* Roadie tires
* I would like disc brakes
* Needs to be compatible with racks, child's bike seats, panniers and accessories. Should be able to tow a kid's trailer
* Built in lights, internally geared hubs, belt-drives, wacky shifting mechanisms, anything Italian or titanium, and anything particularly lightweight etc are bonuses

I do a lot of fast riding around the city including loops around Central Park. And I want to be able to go for rides with my son, who will turn 2 this summer. I have taken him on bikes before and he loved it. I also do a bit of commuting, which again takes me directly through the park.

I was at a LBS today and they showed me a Cannondale Bad Boy 1. Not sold on the front suspension though. Also saw pictures of a Firefly Stealth UltraCommuter online, which undoubtedly costs more than even I'd probably wish to spend.

Any other recommendations? Suppose I would be willing to spend $1,500 to $5k or more. My current road bike is a 14.5 pound Seven Odonata with a beautiful Titanium / Carbon Fiber frame and full campy record. If I get a new bike, I have to sell my current amazing bike. So I need to get something cool as a replacement.

Would love to hear any recommendations.