Old 03-02-15, 03:31 PM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Most of the British bikes have 165mm crank arms- which is really good for spinning. But they also have that pesky 18t cog in the rear, which is not. 22t works very well for me, but that makes 3rd the 'main' gear with 1st and 2nd for climbing. The Brits didn't seem to think that way, but OTOH they *did* offer other cog sizes...

Noglider's comment about the seat position should not be ignored either! If I had to guess I would say your saddle is too far forward. You can flip the saddle mounting bracket around to allow the seat to be moved further back.
I checked the seat position according to the adage of knee pain front, raise the seat and knee pain back, lower the seat. In my case, I raised it about 2 -3 cm, because the pain is in the front. I haven't been able to do more than go around the block to check to make sure I wasn't hyperextending the knees. If I need to fine tune the seat front-to-back, I can do so easily because it is a newer single rail seat and they have a fair amount of front-to-back leeway built-in.

I'm glad to hear that the 165 mm crank length is considered a "spinner".

Thanks @noglider and @Salubrious. I appreciate it. BTW, was the 22t already on your hub or did you put it on? Just wondering if you had to change the chain.

Last edited by tbo; 03-02-15 at 03:46 PM.