Old 03-09-15, 01:16 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Not commenting on the hop or the reasons or implications because I don't have enough info, but you should tell him.

The simple reason is that he may see it later and explanations of "imperfection" are easier up front than after when it'll sound like you're backpedaling.

In fact, depending on what you had to work with, you might have been in a position to explain up front, before even accepting the job, that there might be limitations, and you'll do the best possible within the limitations of his used rim.

"Expectation management" is a critical skill necessary to being a skilled practitioner whether he be a bicycle mechanic, doctor, or lawyer. Everything you do is constrained by the specifics of what you're working with, and it's important to explain the range of possible outcomes up front.
You hit the nail on the head, as usual.

In this specific case, the rim did not at first appear to have problems.

Lesson learned--from now on I will make it a standard policy to explain that the ultimate quality of the wheel will be constrained by any imperfections in the components. Simple, easy, covers my rear end, avoids embarrassment, and I should have thought of it on my own. Thanks!

Last edited by ClarkinHawaii; 03-09-15 at 01:40 PM.