Old 03-09-15, 05:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Next time you take in a used wheel for rebuild or repair, spin it in a truing stand, to get a sense of the "before" so you know what you'll be dealing with.

Broad sweeping changes in radius, like a round wheel built off center are easy to correct, as are gently ovalized rims that aren't very deep in section. What's harder to correct are local flat spots, with repairability decreasing with greater depth, narrower span (more local) oe deeper cross section rims. These local flat spots usually mean actual distortion of the rim and are much harder to flex to round than a rim that's warped but not actually bent. Deeper section rims are always harder to correct for radial bends, because the section is so stiff in that direction.

A quick spin in a stand to assess the issues will put you in position to estimate what you can achieve and how long it'll take you. While you're at it, don't forget to look for signs of corrosion, brake track wear and stress cracking since all of these also factor into any decision.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.