View Single Post
Old 03-12-15, 09:20 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by gmouchawar
So after lurking on the 3-speed here for some time, I bit the bullet and bought one on ebay:
Vintage Raleigh Men Road Bike
Doing some research, it appears to be a 1978 Spirit. How are these different from the sports. Other than the rack they appear identical.
I don't have it yet. It is in transit to CA from FL. I have my fingers crossed for it being packed well and arriving without UPS induced dents.
I am also hoping its the 27" model for tire availability.
Please feel free to comment on my new to me 3 speed and many thanks.
Originally Posted by gmouchawar
Doing some research, it appears to be a 1978 Spirit. How are these different from the sports.
Looks like a Sprite.

Some differences. Most significant is, probably, 27" (630 mm) wheels rather than 26" (590 mm) wheels. Easier to convert to 700 than a Sports, more tire choices as it is. So, the Sports will typically have fatter tires (1 3/8) as opposed to the 1" to 1 1/4 for a 27" tire. So, the Sports may be cushier than the Sprite, but not a lot.

Cosmetic differences : Sprite doesn't have the raised center on the fenders. Rims are not "Raleigh Pattern." Chainwheel doesn't have a Heron. Other minor differences.

The Sprite also came as a 10 speed. We have one of those from 1974 -- step through model. My wife's favorite bike. "It's a roller."

My understanding is that the Sprite shared a frame with one of the Raleigh road bikes of the era, but can't remember the model (Record, maybe).

That looks like a nice bike and with a bit of grease here and there (almost all of these old bikes have been neglected to one degree or another -- yours appears to a lesser degree) it can be a roller too.