Old 03-17-15, 08:11 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
Seems like a good deal, if the bike appears in good shape. I think a warranty, per se, is too much to ask on a used bike that is a good deal. However, maybe a deal could be made that they cover anything major except abuse for a month. Then, you just need to make sure to get out enough in that first month so that anything truly ready to fail will fail.
1st--The price on the bike is a good deal but only if it is in good shape. The pic that you sent showed the frame and it looked pretty rough, as you would expect from a rental. The seat post--is that surface rust or just brown? I really could not tell from the photo.
I think that buying a used bike is a good idea but I do not like buying a rental, especially a mtb as they tend to get abused. If you are going to do some serious mtb the fork is really made for light trails. I just saw a 2014 Giant ATX 29er go new at my LBS for $440
00. It seems like they had the same fork. I am not sure what your budget is but a new Giant Revel 29er is $550.00.
Personally, I would watch Craigs List if you want to go used because you will find many bikes there that have gotten little to no mileage on them.
I know that I ride my bikes pretty hard but I have never had a frame that was as scratched up as the one in the picture you shared. I just think that you can do better on Craigs List and by watching sales and closeouts.