Old 03-17-15, 10:44 AM
Fogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Feather vs Bianchi Pista vs Kona Paddy Wagon vs...

I've been shopping around for a decent single speed (still not fond of fixed...) in the sub-$800 range, and as I'm sure everyone here knows, the options seem limitless... However, there are a few I'm seriously considering, and I'd love to hear various opinions on them.

As a bit of helpful info, I put priority on frame quality first, wheels second, all other components third. This bike would be a fast-ish 20-mile-or-less rider for when I'm tight on time but want a good, fun workout. Barely any city riding, really. I'm really looking for a well-made chromoly frame/fork that will last for years and many parts swaps, and I'm hoping I'm in the right price range to find it...

Anywho, the top few, in no particular order:

Fuji Feather. My LBS sells Fuji, so this one would be easy, and I do like to support them. Also, the price is very nice...but is it a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for? Fuji doesn't give out much info on the frame, though...for example, is it straight-gauge with only a butted seat tube? I suppose a better, more relevant question is, can anyone comment on ride quality? Tire clearance? I particularly like the way the seat binder lug ties in nicely with the lugged fork, and I'm also fond of quill stems... Can you tell I'm leaning toward this option the most?

Bianchi Pista. I mainly like the geometry of this one... I've always been fond of the steep seat tube/slacker head tube feel. The price seems a little high, almost like you're paying for the name more than anything else...

Kona Paddy Wagon. I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the rear brake cable stops... I kinda always see myself with a rear brake (what with the freewheel and all), so dedicated stops instead of the clip-on guides are a plus in my book. The road bike geometry is a toss-up; while it would be more comfortable, I already have a nice road bike, and I'd likely always take it out for long rides. Finally, the price is up there with the Bianchi. There's a lot of hits against this option.

Wabi Classic. Nice frame, nice components, has the seat binder lug I like... On the expensive side (of my budget, that is), but unlike the Bianchi, it does seem like the price is more on par with the product. The big question: for someone who likes swapping parts out (like me), is it worth $200 more than the Feather? The $200 saved with the Feather could always go toward a Sugino crank or Nitto stem or bars...

Kilo TT. I have friends who've purchased from Bikes Direct, and they're pretty happy with their bikes. Though I've seen this bike recommended countless times around here, the Kilo simply doesn't 'speak' to me, but maybe it's nicer in person... I suppose, like above, the real question comes down to: is it a better bike than the Feather? Has anyone ridden both? From a frame quality standpoint, is there much of a difference?

Thank you to everyone who actually reads all of that, I know it's pretty long! I appreciate most any and all advice and/or opinions!