Old 03-19-15, 12:11 PM
dantheobserver

Bikes: Univega Supra Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
get new ones . they're low cost.. . look at the bearing race in the hub too might be new wheel time if that's messed up.
The hub seems fine, it definitely doesn't have any pitting and seems pretty smooth as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Wheels Mfg. may have a suitable replacement:

Taiwanese Hub Cones - Hub Cones & Kits - Products
How would I know if the races on those cones would be the right curvature for 3/16" bearings in my hub? Or do I pretty much have to order something that looks right and find out by trial and error?

Originally Posted by FBinNY
With good lubricant, you can buy yourself a decent amount of time, and if the undersized balls move the track far enough, they'll be like new. New cones ae available, from a number of sources, and there's often enough interchangeability, that you can use cones scavenged out of a used hub sourced at a bike co-op.

So, it's up to you, ride it a very short while until you find a replacement cone, or give 4.5mm balls a shot (only if you can't find a cone). BTW- sometimes you can buy a brand new hub for lower cost than a single or pair of cones, so consider that option.
That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure how to find the right cone online. The closest LBS to me doesn't have a replacement that would fit but I'll be going to another (better-stocked) LBS on Monday. So unless I can figure out how to find the right replacement cone online, I'm gonna see if the other LBS has a cone or any suggestions for what to get.

I thought about getting a hub but ran into the same issue with cone size and fit and not knowing quite where to turn. Like I said, I'd prefer not to have to rebuild the wheel if I can help it but I'll do that if there's no other long-term option.