Old 03-22-15, 06:25 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
What is the most bombproof spokes/rims/hubs(dics brakes) that you can get in 29er/700c?
Think about the possible accidents you're preparing for. You need to be in an accident that fatally damages the wheel without affecting the frame.

Unrealistic:
  • You're bombing a mountain path at downhill speeds, and you slam a tree hard enough to destroy a wheel without bending your fork.
  • You get hit by a car from behind that perfectly crumples your wheel without bending your chainstays.

Realistic:
  • You hit a bad pothole, a root, or a rock, and you untrue your wheel.
  • You crash and turn your handlebars sideways, and bend the front wheel.

In my opinion, a full wheel implosion is unlikely. You just won't be traveling with enough velocity on tour to destroy a wheel. As I mentioned in the "realistic" scenarios, you can totally taco a wheel or mess up the true, and for that, a spoke wrench and some patience goes a long way.

Crashes, accidents, unforseen circumstances; these are the best stories. Get solid wheels, and have a PLAN for a potential accident, but don't set out trying to build an indestructible bike. You will end up pushing a tank up hills. If your wheels are prepared for 90% of circumstances, let your brain and your sense of adventure prepare for the rest.

My wheels are 36 spoke, double-butted spokes with brass nipples, some inexpensive Sun Ringle rims and some durable Shimano XT hubs. $400 for a set, mountain-bike durable, not too heavy, and easily replaced in case of a truly bad accident.