Old 03-23-15, 01:38 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gimping your brakes is a ridiculous solution. I am surprised that you don't think it's possible to endo on your road bike. With decent dual pivot road brakes, this is easy to accomplish from a bad position, and possible to accomplish even from the best braking position.

I'd recommend you practice braking technique on one of your road bikes. For maximum effect, practice from the drops. Bring your weight back and drop your center of mass, feel like you're pushing your heels down and brace your upper body. While it's possible to generate enough braking force to endo a user with even the very best technique, most people endo because their upper body travels forward as the bike decelerates putting the center of mass further forward over the front wheel. Do this progressively harder until you begin lifting the rear wheel. Also try this from the hoods. I suspect a couple half hour sessions of practice would be a good way to get a feel for this skill, then occasionally practice hard braking in safe circumstances during ordinary riding.

And, yeah, I DO do this instinctively because I practiced--and I did it way before I bought a reasonable mountain bike. The maximum braking speed for a bicycle is with the weight of the rider as low and as far back as possible, with the body braced against deceleration, and with so much force that the rear wheel is almost beginning to lift. This is an important skill because it can make the difference between running into that car that pulled out in front of you or not, etc.

You do need to recalibrate for any braking system you're not familiar with. Doing progressively harder stops is standard operating practice to get used to differing levels of modulation. I do remember being amazed the first time I demo'd a $7000 all-mountain bike with Shimano XTR brakes--the power was THERE much sooner into the lever travel than I expected. Did one endo at super low speed trying to slow down to observe an obstacle. But really I got used to the thing in like 30 minutes and then life was amazing.